|3 cups all purpose flour|
|2 tsp baking powder|
|1/4 tsp baking soda|
|1 cup shortening (suggested: 1/2 cup butter + 1/2 cup shortening)|
|3-4 tbsp milk|
|1 cup chopped raisins or currants|
|1 - 1 1/2 tsp salt|
|1/2 cup granulated sugar|
|Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg (to taste)|
- Sift dry ingredients into bowl.
- Cut in shortening/butter.
- Add chopped raisins or currants.
- Beat together eggs and milk and slowly add to fruit/flour mixture. Mix together thoroughly but lightly to form a dough. Handle as little as possible.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board and roll out to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into rounds (1.5" - 2" in diametre) with well floured cookie cutter (a round glass will also work).
- Very lightly grease grill or electric frying pan and bake at 325°-350°F until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Dip each cookie lightly on both sides in granulated sugar before cookies are fully cool.
This recipe was passed down to me from my Grandmother. It was my absolute favourite treat whenever I went to visit and it is with great pride that I share it with you.
© Copyright 2008-2017, Positive Impressions®. All rights reserved.