|2 cups (dry) of macaroni|
|1/2 lb bacon (optional)|
|1/2 cup chopped onion|
|1/2 cup chopped green pepper|
|3/4 cup grated sharp (old) cheddar cheese (approx. 6 oz or 80 g)|
|1/8 cup parmesan (or romano) cheese|
|10 oz can of tomato soup|
|1 cup milk|
|1 tsp melted butter (approx.)|
|1/2 cup finely grated bread crumbs or crackers|
|1/4 tsp oregano|
|1 tbsp parmesan|
- Butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water for 7 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
- While macaroni is boiling, chop bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry until crisp. Drain off all but 2 tbsp of bacon drippings. (If you're not using bacon, use 2 tbsp of butter or margarine.)
- Add onion and green pepper to bacon and cook gently, stirring about 5 minutes.
- Add bacon and vegetable mixture to cooked macaroni.
- Add cheddar and parmesan cheeses to hot macaroni.
- Stir in soup and milk, mixing well.
- Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake casserole for 30 minutes in pre-heated oven at 350° F. or until bubbling well.
About 6-8 servings.
Ham, cut into small cubes, can be substituted for the bacon, using about 3/4 of a cup.
You can also substitute veggie weiners in place of bacon or ham.
Most definitely beats Kraft Dinner!
© Copyright 2008-2017, Positive Impressions®. All rights reserved.