1 3/4 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sifted icing sugar
1 tbsp finely grated orange peel, about one orange
1/2 tsp salt
2 3/4 cups cake-and-pastry flour
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (optional)
- Place oven rack at lowest level and preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat butter with icing sugar, orange peel and salt until well blended.
- Stir flour into butter mixture a portion at a time, in about 4 batches. Stir in chocolate chips or chunks with last batch of flour.
- Using floured fingers, pat mixture into 2 ungreased 9" pie plates or 8" square cake pans, evenly pressing down edges. Using a fork, pierce dough every inch.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and centre is golden.
- If desired, sprinkle top with granulated sugar.
- Cool completely on a rack before cutting into squares or bars.
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Makes 35 cookies.
Per cookie: 10.11 g carbohydrate; 0.8 g protein; 9.3 g total fat; equating to 126 calories.
© Copyright 2008-2017, Positive Impressions®. All rights reserved.