|1 cup whole bean flour (do not use soybean flour unless it's clearly marked "fat free")|
|3/4 cup of granulated sugar|
|1/2 cup cornstarch|
|1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder|
|2 tsp baking powder|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|4 egg whites|
|1 1/2 cups strong coffee, cooled|
|1/3 cup corn syrup|
- Spray bottom only of non-stick 9" square cake pan with non-stick coating. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, stir together bean flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In small bowl, whisk together coffee and corn syrup; whisk into dry ingredients until smooth. Fold in egg whites until blended.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread to corners, smoothing top.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 40 minutes or until tester inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool in pan, or cool for 5 minutes in pan before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Top with Fat Free Fluffy Frosting.
Yields one cake, or the equivalent of 16 servings.
Per serving: 109 calories, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein.
This recipe was taken from Full of Beans by Kay Spicer (Gordon Soules Book Publishers, 1993). The book contains 200 recipes for easy-to-prepare, low-fat, high-fibre, healthy-heart dishes, from appetizers to desserts, and is available through Chapters Online.
© Copyright 2008-2017, Positive Impressions®. All rights reserved.