|1 1/4 cups all purpose flour|
|1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal|
|1 tbsp baking powder|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|1 tsp sugar (to taste)|
|1/2 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tsp fresh, minced)|
|2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese (about 6-8 oz)|
|1 10 oz (284 ml) tin creamed corn|
|1/3 cup vegetable oil|
|1/3 cup finely chopped green onions (tops and bottoms)|
|1 4 oz (114ml) tin chopped green chilis, well drained|
|1 2 oz jar diced pimentos, well drained|
|1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)|
- Grease a long loaf pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar, oregano and 2 cups chedder cheese. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in the green onions, green chilies, diced pimentos and creamed corn.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, just until combined.
- Turn mixture into prepared pan. Smooth the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake about 40 minutes (test at 35 minutes to be safe) or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. (Baked bread will be moist, but no particles of bread should cling to the toothpick.)
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then turn out on rack to completely cool before storage. Handle gently to avoid breaking the loaf.
Yields 1 long loaf.
This bread has a slightly hot tang from the chilies. For a less "hot" bread, finely diced green and red peppers can be substituted to retain the colour.
Serve with the Mexicali Vegetable Chili.
© Copyright 2008-2017, Positive Impressions®. All rights reserved.