|1/4 cup water (to saute veggies in)|
|1 medium-large onion, chopped|
|1 medium-large green pepper, chopped|
|2 stalks celery, chopped|
|1 small-medium zucchini, quartered and then sliced|
|1 very large carrot, quartered and then sliced|
|1 can (28 oz) stewed tomatoes|
|1 cup taco or chili sauce (medium hot)|
|1 tbsp chili powder|
|1/4 cup red lentils|
|1 tbsp raw brown rice|
|1 can (28 oz) red kidney beans (or 2 cups home cooked)|
|1 can (14 or 19 oz) garbanzo beans (chickpeas)|
|1 medium potato, cubed|
- Water saute the chopped onion, green pepper, celery, zucchini, and carrots for about 5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, salsa sauce, chili powder, lentils and raw brown rice.
- Simmer mixture for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kidney beans, garbanzo beans and cubed potato.
- Cook for another 25 minutes, or until brown rice is done. (Brown rice takes at least 45 to 50 minutes to cook.)
Makes about 8-10 servings.
This is one of those recipes that tastes better the next day, after the flavours have had a chance to mix. But it is also very tasty as soon as it's done - the first time I made it for my partner he asked to sample it and had half the pot already finished before I realized dinner was disappearing quick!
Freezes well. Makes a wonderful lunch at the office with a slice of Mexican Corn Bread.
© Copyright 2008-2017, Positive Impressions®. All rights reserved.